"Through the gospel of Jesus Christ the family can be sealed together
in a permanent relationship for time and all eternity." -D&C 132
I lived across the street from my grandparents for nine years. We
moved in when I was nine years old. My favorite food is pickles. When
I was younger I would always run over to grandpas house and say,
"grandpa do you have a pickle?" We would then sit there and eat our
pickles together and laugh. As I grew up all the way through high
school he would ask me, "Madi want a pickle?" It was our thing. We had
so many laughs together. We joked together. He never had favorites. He
loved all his children and grandchildren. I said goodbye to him on
that cold December morning not knowing I wasn't going to see him again
in this life. I woke up excited. It's P-Day and I get to talk to my
family! We study. We eat breakfast. I go to the computer lab. I have
an email from mom: "please do not talk to anyone I will call you
soon." Call me? My heart pounds. I email my sister she tells me to
calm down. I go to the front desk. The phone rings. The man looks at
me, sister lee? I start to cry. He hangs up. He tells me everything
will be alright to take a seat. I wait. One hour later, "sister lee
please come with me," I go. They sit me down. "Sister Lee how are you
today?" I am frustrated because I just want to know. "Sister Lee we
just talked to your mother and she has informed us that your
grandfather Jack has passed away." Tears streaming down my face. "Were
you close to him?" I nod. They give me words of comfort, " we get
these calls many times here at the MTC and we believe it's because
these family members are your guardian angels. They want to go on this
journey with you." The conversation ends and I leave. Sister Durtschi
knows and nods. She knew exactly how to handle it. We went to the
temple. I stand up to go to the celestial room. I lose it. I get in
there and I am overcome with the spirit. I know my grandpa is with me.
I decide to leave because I am making to much noise. I am stopped by a
couple.
"Sister what is wrong, are you okay?"
"My grandfather has passed away."
"Have you talked to your parents?"
"No" I said confused as if that was an option
"I work at the MTC you go back and call them and tell them I gave you
permission, I will call down there right away and inform them."
I leave. Tender mercy. I go to the office. They are expecting me. They
put me in a room. Me, Sister Durtschi, and the phone. I remember my
moms telephone number. I press call. She answers, I cry. They are all
there with grandma. They put me on speaker. I feel peace. At this
instant I am grateful for my family. I am grateful I was raised in
this gospel. And I know families are forever.
Five days later I go to the airport. It's the day of the funeral. I
call grandma Carol. She cries. She is lonely. She doesn't want me to
come home because she knows my mission out here is more important. I
call my mom. We talk about everything. I am excited to go to New York.
I know this is where I need to be, and I now know grandpa is with me.
Valentines day, the mail comes. I get a letter from grandma. It is my
first letter from just her. I open it. It's from my grandpa. I read
it, I cry. Grandma writes, "My darling Maddy, I want you to know
grandpa wrote this to you two days before he left us. I don't want to
make you sad but I know it would mean the world to you. He loved you
and is so proud of you. Grandma." I am overwhelmed. I again pray
harder and longer then I have before. I know this gospel is true and I
know through it families are forever. I know I will see my grandpa
again.
No comments:
Post a Comment